Girl from Jersey

This blog is about our family and me."The Girl From Jersey".

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wasilla, Alaska, United States

I am a transplant from New Jersey and New York to Alaska. We have lived in Alaska since 1972. I am a Registered Nurse who wants to share her life's journey with others.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

More Sweet Memories

It is funny as we get older our memories merge together and we remember just moments in time. I remember the corner candy store where they had hand packed ice cream with real vanilla beans. Mom and Dad used to send me for ice cream. We only had a ice box and so the ice cream had to be used right away. I remember the ice man coming with this big block of ice. One day I put all my Dad's change in a charity box and he really got mad. I remember my mom making fresh bread. One time I ate the raw dough and got really really sick. She used to make butter out of margarine in a bag that had a little tab of colored dye. You mixed the two together to make the "lard" yellow I guess. Dad and I used to play hide and seek. I was little enough to hide in the stove but he always found me. He was a mailman and walked a 17 mile route on the highway.

One day Dad was working on something green that turned out to be a kayak. I couldn't figure out what he was doing but he had this stencil and was making white letters. He put my name on the kayak. He used to go down to the swamp in Jersey and hunt birds before going to work. Then we would have "railbirds" and wild rice for supper. One time the tide started to go out and he almost didn't get home in time to go to the post office to work. I grew up eating squirrel, rabbit, ducks and rail birds. One time I was ill and he asked what I wanted for lunch. I said squirrel and so he went out in the back yard and shot one for my lunch.

Oh well it is getting late and I had better sign off.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home