Girl from Jersey

This blog is about our family and me."The Girl From Jersey".

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wasilla, Alaska, United States

I am a transplant from New Jersey and New York to Alaska. We have lived in Alaska since 1972. I am a Registered Nurse who wants to share her life's journey with others.

Friday, April 27, 2007

1943 I Became Me

I was born March 13, 1943 at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in New York City. I know it was snowing the day my Mom (Marion Kier) and my Dad (Arnold Hook) brought me home, because my Mom said so. My parents grew up in the Bronx. I talk like a nu yawker because they taught me that way. One of the first things I learned was the Bronx cheer. My Mom lived in Riverdale and my Dad lived at 242 nd. Street at Kingsbridge Terrace. I must add that I grew up in Fort Lee and Rivervale, New Jersey. Consequently, I must talk like a Jersey girl too. Fortunately or unfortunately, this way of talking has been transferred to my children. When my daughter went to college she called me up and said, "Mom I can't find the hangerr." Her first day in first grade were marked by a note from the teacher saying she had a speech defect. I just couldn't here the defect. Then my brother said, "She just has a New York accent." That was cool.

The things I miss most about East Coast are fire flies, New Jersey crumb buns, and the smell of a summer night. However, to compensate me in the summer I have Alaskan mosquitoes and 24/7 of daylight.

I don't know when my parents moved to Fort Lee, NJ but we lived in a double house on Haffley Lane with newspaper insulation in the walls. It was heated by a coal furnace with a large grate in the middle of the living room. I used to love to play in the coal bin.

I do barely remember the snow fall of 1948. There was so much snow in the street that my Mom took me out and we made a tunnel. We had a huge back yard with a grape arbor. It was a really neat yard for a kid. Although, I don't think Dad liked trimming on the hedges. Well this is the end of my first entry. We will see how it goes. Comments or memories are welcome.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home